Volterra Services FAQ
How does Volterra work?
Volterra provides distributed cloud services - VoltMesh to connect & secure and VoltStack to deploy & operate your apps across the edge, multi-cloud, and our global application delivery network. Using this SaaS platform, we remove the need for you to deploy and integrate many disparate networking and app services -- dramatically reducing cost and simplifying operations for NetOps and DevOps.
- VoltMesh delivers networking and security services from our high-performance global network. Our SaaS platform can also deploy the same service in your cloud or edge location, giving you a globally distributed app gateway for app-to-app and internet traffic.
- VoltStack provides platform services for distributed infrastructure and apps across the edge, cloud, and our global network. VoltStack automates deployment, security, and operations of multiple app clusters to deliver a logically centralized cloud for the customer.
How do I get started with Volterra?
We highly recommend that you sign-up for a free account to build or secure any app. Since there are multiple different solutions that can be built using our services, we also request that you look at different use-cases on the website. Each of these use-cases also comes with quick-start documentation to ease your on-boarding process.
Billing & Charging
Can I use Volterra for free?
Yes, we provide a completely free plan that provides both VoltMesh and VoltStack services for your test/dev or production needs.
Why does Volterra offer a free plan and how does it benefit from it?
Volterra believes that cloud services are going to be the dial-tone of the future and everyone should have “universal cloud access”. A free plan was devised at the inception of the company to deliver universal access in a cloud-neutral manner across any provider while also providing the flexibility to “build your own distributed cloud” across multiple cloud providers or your own edge locations. All traffic generated by our free users goes towards improving our security algorithms and operational capabilities -- providing a direct benefit to all our customers.
What can I do with the free plan?
The free plan gives you the flexibility to deploy various different capabilities:
- Deploy containerized apps in our global application delivery network using your existing K8s deployment spec. You can deploy up-to 8 containers across our global network to deliver lightning-fast performance to a global audience -- no need to manage any K8s clusters, load balancers, or worry about the security of the app.
- Secure an already running app in one or two cloud locations (even across two different cloud providers). It is as simple as configuring a virtual load-balancer in our network and providing the IP addresses of the origin server(s). If you don't want your origin servers to be exposed to the public internet, you also get the flexibility to deploy up to two VoltMesh nodes in each of the cloud location(s) to privately and securely connect your origin servers to our global network without exposing your app to the public internet.
- Deploy VoltStack software on a VM in your public/private cloud location(s) or on a certified hardware in your edge location. This gives you a fully managed app platform that is not only distributed in the cloud/edge but also in our network (with up to 8 containers in our global network). You can deploy and operate as many apps in your cloud or edge location.
You can create many other combinations based on your imagination - for example, deploying SDWAN across two locations and creating networks and security policies across these two locations and to the public internet. These are just some of the good examples that we can think of and we are sure that you will dream of many more.
Why would I need to upgrade from the free to a paid plan?
You will need to upgrade from the free plan to one of the paid plans if you scale your deployment beyond the noted levels and need to manage more apps or locations. Alternatively, you might require the advanced security services, additional analytics data, or advanced support that comes with our paid plan options.
Why do you provide a monthly coupon?
For individual and team plans, we provide a monthly coupon that is meant to deliver value that is equivalent to the value we deliver in the free plan. We don’t want to disincentivize our users as they migrate from the free to paid plan. The coupon is used to offset any consumption-based service charges that are billed at the end of your billing cycle.
What will be my billing date?
The date you migrate from the free to a paid plan will be your recurring billing date. If you directly signed-up for a paid plan, your sign-up date will be the recurring billing date.
What happens when I upgrade or downgrade my plan?
If you upgrade or downgrade a plan, the following happens:
- You will be charged the pro-rata cost of the new plan (till the end of the billing cycle)
- You will be refunded the pro-rata cost of the old plan (till the end of the billing cycle)
- All consumption-based service(s) will be rounded up (to the next hour or their individual metric) and charged based on usage.
- At the next billing cycle, you will be charged for the full cost of the new plan and any consumption-based service(s).
- You will receive an invoice upon successful payment of the upgrade
What happens when I change my plan in the middle of my subscription period?
You are free to change the plan at any time of your subscription period and will be charged pro-rata as described in the previous answer.
What currency is used for billing?
All transactions to your billing method on file will be billed in US Dollars. We do not offer local currency billing for non-organization plans.
Security, Data Privacy, and Legal
What personal information of mine does Volterra store in its cloud?
Volterra stores PII information within its cloud storage - name, email, user-id, billing address, phone number in its cloud. For every API call made by the customer, we encrypt and decrypt the calls and store a log for audit-ability -- this includes geo-IP location, device type, and device software used to make these API calls. In addition, the customer's credit card information is stored with PCI compliant service from Stripe, Inc.
What are the terms of your service?
Our terms of service can be found here.
Can you provide some details on the security aspects of VoltStack SecureShare?
VoltStack Secureshare delivers a very simplified workflow for securely sharing and/or even storing sensitive data. The detailed FAQ for SecureShare is available here.