Table Of Contents
In this document, you’ll learn how to install Volterra Node or Cluster (Multi-node) on VMware ESXi. We are in the process of providing an OVA image that will dramatically simplify the process, in the meantime, please follow these instructions to build your VMware site.
- Note: If you don’t have an account, please go to Create a VES Account
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) < 6.7U2
At Least one interface with internet reachability
- Volterra Node Zero Touch Provisioning requires Internet connectivity to Volterra Console
Volterra Node Software Image.
- Please ensure that you have visited Create Site before starting installation.
- By proceeding with the installation, download and/or access and use, as applicable, of the Volterra software, and/or Volterra platform, you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and agree to be bound by this agreement.
VMware ESXi Hypervisor Setup
Step 1: Login to VMware-ESXi Portal using the ESXi Host IP
Step 2: Sample Host Configuration
Step 3: Sample Portgroup - Management Network configuration with a single interface
Step 4: Sample Portgroup - VM Network configuration with a single interface
Step 5: Sample Virtual Switch Topology
Installing Volterra Node on VMware
Step 1: Select ‘Create / Register VM’ from ‘Virtual Machines’ section.
Step 2: Select ‘Create a new virtual machine’ from the options listed.
Step 3: Provide ‘Virtual Machine Name’ and choose the other options shown below.
- Name: Virtual Machine Name to be represented in VMware environment.
- Compatibility: ESXi 6.7 U2 virtual machine (nested virtualization and Huge-Page supported from versions U2 and higher)
- Guest OS Family: Other
- Guest OS Version: VMware ESXi 6.5 or later
Step 4: Select Storage as required based on the storage available on the Hypervisor Host
Additional Datastores can be created as necessary using the Wizard as shown below:
Step 5: Configure the Guest/VM. Minimum requirements for a Volterra Node are mentioned below
- Memory: at least 8GB (ideal 16GB). Reservation should be same as Memory configured.
- CPU: at least 2 Cores (ideal 4 Cores)
- Hard Disk: at least 50 GB (minimal requirements vary as the host enables users to deploy vk8s workloads which inturn requires storage)
- Network Adapters: at least 1 (configuration with multiple nic’s require proper portgroup configuration with different VLAN’s)
- Network Adapter type: Supported - VMXNET 3
Step 6: Upload your tenant-specific Volterra Node image to the datastore and ensure it boots off of it.
Step 7: Disable UEFI from VM Options
Step 8: Configure Huge Page Options in VM Options Section
Note: Volterra Node requires Huge Pages to be enabled on the Guest/VM. VMware ESXi versions higher than 67.
The following parameters need to be configured from VM Options section to enable Huge Pages on Guest/VM.
sched.mem.lpage.enable1GPage = "TRUE" monitor_control.enable_fullcpuid = TRUE featMask.vm.cpuid.pdpe1gb = "Val:1"
Step 9: Select Edit Configuration option under the Advanced tab from VM Options:
Step 10: Add the configuration parameters mentioned above using the form:
Step 11: Sample Overall Guest/VM - Volterra CE Configuration
Step 12: Boot the Virtual Machine and select Volterra Bootstrap on Startup
Choose Defaults or Wizard to provide specific information:
- Cluster Name
- Registration Token
- Hostname (master0 by default)
- Longitude and Latitude information
Return Back to Create Site document to accept the Registration